First in the spotlight is Catherine Goodwin [Godwin?], a teacher from Newcastle. Her subject is one of the first feminist campaigners and writers, Mary Wollstonecraft....
She did well in the face of those quick-fired questions from John Humphrys, but alas not well enough.
The questions were:
- Who famously described her as a "hyena in petticoats", following the publication of A Vindication of the Rights of Woman in 1792?
- To which friend in Beverley, daughter of a philosopher and a lecturer, did the 14 year old Wollstonecraft write her earliest surviving letter?
- In which London church did she marry the anarchist and novelist William Godwin on 29 March 1797?
- In A Vindication of the Rights of Men, whose definition of English liberty did she attack as "security of property"?
- Which young woman, slender and elegant of form, whom Wollstonecraft met in 1775, is thought to be the principal model for Anne in the novel Mary?
- In the conclusion of Maria, or the Wrongs of Woman, Maria says the conflict is over, and then says she will live for whom?
- Which writer and artist provided illustrations for the second edition of Wollstonecraft's Original Stories from Real Life?
- In the 15th of her Letters Written During a Short Residence in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, Wollstonecraft says her thoughts darted from earth to heaven when she saw what sublime waterfall?
- With which political group, sometimes known as Brissotins, was she closely involved during the French Revolution?
- Which institution is described in Maria, or the Wrongs of Woman, as "the most insufferable bondage for minds governed by superior principles"?
- In her early Thoughts on the Education of Daughters, which animal story by Dorothy Kilner did she recommend to amuse and instruct?
- Which other celebrated writer was present at the dinner party of Joseph Johnson where Wollstonecraft met her future husband William Godwin?
- To which politician and former churchman was A Vindication of the Rights of Woman dedicated?
- According to the Letters, the design of the deity throughout the whole of nature appears to be the preservation of what?
- Who registered Wollstonecraft as his wife at the American Embassy in Paris to give her protection when war broke out between Britain and revolutionary France?
- Wollstonecraft jumped off which bridge over the Thames in an attempt to commit suicide in 1795, following the breakdown of her relationship with Gilbert Imlay?