- Who famously described her as a "hyena in petticoats", following the publication of A Vindication of the Rights of Woman in 1792? -- Horace Walpole
- To which friend in Beverley, the daughter of a philosopher and a lecturer, did the 14 year old Wollstonecraft write her earliest surviving letter? -- Jane Arden
- In which London church did she marry the anarchist and novelist William Godwin on 29 March 1797? -- (Old) St Pancras
- In A Vindication of the Rights of Men, whose definition of English liberty did she attack as "security of property"? -- Edmund Burke
- Which young woman, slender and elegant of form, whom Wollstonecraft met in 1775, is thought to be the principal model for Anne in the novel Mary? -- Frances (Fanny) Blood
- In the conclusion of Maria, or the Wrongs of Woman, Maria says the conflict is over, and then says that she will live for whom? -- "My child"
- Which writer and artist provided illustrations for the second edition of Wollstonecraft's Original Stories from Real Life? -- William Blake
- In the 15th of her Letters Written During a Short Residence in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, Wollstonecraft says her thoughts darted from earth to heaven when she saw what sublime waterfall? -- Fredericstradt
- With which political group, sometimes known as Brissotins, was she closely involved during the French Revolution? -- Girondins
- Which institution is described in Maria, or the Wrongs of Woman, as "the most insufferable bondage for minds governed by superior principles"? -- Matrimony (marriage)
- In her early Thoughts on the Education of Daughters, which animal story by Dorothy Kilner does Wollstonecraft recommend to amuse and instruct? -- The Life and Perambulation of a Mouse
- Which other celebrated writer was present at the dinner party of Joseph Johnson where Wollstonecraft first met her future husband William Godwin? -- She said Holcroft, but the presenter over-ruled her with Thomas Paine.
- To which politician and former churchman was A Vindication of the Rights of Woman dedicated? -- Talleyrand
- According to the Letters, the design of the deity throughout the whole of nature appears to be the preservation of what? -- The species
- Who registered Wollstonecraft as his wife at the American Embassy in Paris to give her protection when war broke out between Britain and revolutionary France? -- Gilbert Imlay
- Wollstonecraft jumped off which bridge over the Thames in an attempt to commit suicide in 1795, following the breakdown of her relationship with Gilbert Imlay? -- Putney Bridge
Sunday, February 12, 2012
Mary Wollstonecraft was on the BBC quizshow Mastermind - lots of excitement on Twitter during the Friday broadcast. Yesterday we looked at the questions faced by the teacher named Godwin (or Goodwin, but I can dream). Episode 14 is available on iPlayer, in theory. Today, the answers.
The black chair, from the BBC Mastermind page. It is famous, apparently.